Thread: Vin location on frame 1300 4x4 truck

Default Vin location on frame 1300 4x4 truck

I recently purchased a 1970 1300 4x4 the truck needs a lot of work. Some one changed the doors and now the Vin data plate is missing. Does anyone know where it is located on the frame? or any other place

I have located what I think is a Vin in between the shock tower and rear spring mount on the front left spring on the frame. It is 80212 with a small s in the middle of the 0. The title I have says the VIN is 383301h0041396. I tried to decode the numbers and the model is unknown. I am wondering if the city that owned the truck issued the wrong title when it was sold at auction?

My fingers mixed up the vin is 383301H004139

www.quickvin.com showed this result:

Decoding: 383301H004139

DigitUsageVINDecoded-Mfg Year/Month-19701-4Model3833Unknown!2Drive84WD4Size31300/1310 1-ton5Engine0gas6Body1Cab & Chassis7PlantHSpringfield, Ohio8-13Sequential Serial #004139004139

or from the frame number, the secret decoder ring shows the same thing, because you need the whole VIN to figure all this out.

Normally, the serial number will be in front of the axle on the frame, right behind the front spring hanger on the front left spring. You may be looking at something else. I'm thinking maybe you will find the matching number. If not, you may have been given a title to a different vehicle.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Good part I was looking at the wrong number. Also another good part is I found the Vin right behind the steering gear box. slight problem some one welded a snow plow bracket over the last 2 numbers. I would like to take it and have it inspected to get a replacement Vin tag. Should I remove the portion of snowplow bracket before I take it for inspection or do I take it show them what is there and then take the bracket off. I might go to the sherriffs office and see what they say. At least I have the right title. What IH service manual would I need to show them frame vin nomenclature for these trucks? Thanks for the help Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrewzer76 View Post
    Good part I was looking at the wrong number. Also another good part is I found the Vin right behind the steering gear box. slight problem some one welded a snow plow bracket over the last 2 numbers. I would like to take it and have it inspected to get a replacement Vin tag. Should I remove the portion of snowplow bracket before I take it for inspection or do I take it show them what is there and then take the bracket off. I might go to the sherriffs office and see what they say. At least I have the right title. What IH service manual would I need to show them frame vin nomenclature for these trucks? Thanks for the help Allen
    I would leave it in place and let THEM take it off to inspect if they want to. That's just me. Of course, now that you've cleaned it all off for them. . .

You can get the manual for this truck from binderbooks . com, and you'll want the 63-73 pickup and travelall unless you see a better one on their catalog. I honestly don't know if the manual lists the VIN location. The line set ticket may be behind the glove box, but I think the 1300s often had them on the passenger door frame between the hinges, too.

1300 means 63-73 with a 1 ton payload. 1200 is 3/4 ton, 1100 is half ton, 1000 is half ton with IFS, never came in 4x4. The rest are leaf spring and could be 4x4 or 2wd.

Optional engines are the AMC 6 cylinder (69 and later, IH 6 cyl before that), or a 304, 345, or 392 V8. Transmissions are a borg warner automatic or a 3,4, or 5 speed maual. There were 3 choices for 5 speed. Transfer case would be an NP202. In 1970, the model number was 1300A. It was briefly 1300B in 71, then changed to 1310. There were also a 1300A and B models in 66/67, so we in the binder world have taken to distinguishing the body styles. The 69 has a "square" body on it, which we call a "D" series. The "C series was from 61-68, but the 61-62 C100 series is a transition model with C sheet metal and earlier "other stuff." The C1000 series started in 63, and the frame was used through 73 on the square bodied trucks as well. Standard wheelbase is 119", and the long beds are 131" wb. There were also crew cabs, which were called travelettes, and station wagons on the 119" frame called travelalls.
    Allan E.

I just also bought a 1970 1300 4wd IH tow truck with 83.000 miles . I wanted to start my own business after the machine shop I worked at for over 20 yrs closed it's doors .
    Being unemployed my budget was small to say the least & I got her for less than $500.00 !!!
    The seller had a whole collection of trucks he had to let go due to the sale of their farm , one selling point for me was the truck has a Mopar big block in it . I have all kinds of parts for those so that's a plus !
    There's next to NO demand for these rugged vehicles so it makes prices cheap , other than no one is popping out tons of reproduction parts for them so NOS stuff seems a little pricey but I suppose it all evens out !
    I will post some photos when I can , let me know if you want to swap info there Supercrewzer !

How rare is a 1971 1300B? Does anyone have a serial # range for 1971 before IH went to the 1310 model #? Number on the truck is 383301H936605.

Quote Originally Posted by farmallh77 View Post
    How rare is a 1971 1300B? Does anyone have a serial # range for 1971 before IH went to the 1310 model #? Number on the truck is 383301H936605.
    There weren't a lot of them produced. A picture of the truck that shows the badging would have some oohh and aahh reactions because there were so few sent out that way.
    The serial numbers get a little mixed up due to production issues. I believe the H in the middle of the number tells you the year.
    Allan E.