Thread: GM LS drivetrain swap into a 73 Scout 2 rolling chassis

Default GM LS drivetrain swap into a 73 Scout 2 rolling chassis

Hey guys a newbie here. So I have an opportunity on the horizon of a donor vehicle with a complete GM LS 5.3 drivetrain that I am thinking about swapping into my 73 Scout 2. Has anyone on the Binder tried this yet, I would be curious how it went, and mabey pick your brain a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy1957 View Post
    Hey guys a newbie here. So I have an opportunity on the horizon of a donor vehicle with a complete GM LS 5.3 drivetrain that I am thinking about swapping into my 73 Scout 2. Has anyone on the Binder tried this yet, I would be curious how it went, and mabey pick your brain a little.
    Hi Ziggy,
    I recently swapped in a Chevy 5.3 V8 into an old car (not a Scout) and can relay some of the issues I had to solve. Motor mounts gave me the biggest problem since I was doing this in my garage without the benefit of a welder. I first used the Corvette style mounts that bolt to the water pump but encountered severe engine torque movement. Then I went to an aftermarket "saddle" plate that gave the engine better support. The stock exhaust interfered with the steering box so I had to have special headers built to clear it (this may not be a problem with the Scout). I had to relocated my parking brake mechanism as the V8 was wider than the flathead 6 I took out. My throttle was useless so I used an aftermarket one that utilized a cable. Fortunately my driveshaft length was ok so all I had to do was buy a new yoke to fit the GM tranny (200-4r). I used my original radiator but needed new h0ses, and you should be ok here. I did have to add a tranny cooler in front of my radiator. Then you will need exhaust work to finish up. Good luck with the project as it is very worthwhile.

Jack

No, but it sounds like a great idea

Nope didn't try it, it looks like a great deal.

Any updates to your project, Ziggy? I'm dying to know if you pulled off what Stacks suggested.