Thread: 67 Scout Wheel and Tire Size Question

Default 67 Scout Wheel and Tire Size Question

Hello,

I am new to the forum as I am a new owner of a '67 800 scout. I wanted to replace the wheels / tires, but am a little confused on the wide variety of size combinations available. The Scout has been lifted, but I'm not entirely sure how much. I wanted to get some mud terrain tires that i could off road a bit but also use on roads. Size wise, I am not sure how to evaluate the different rim sizes / tire widths, etc. I'd like the tire to stick out a bit beyond the fender, but do not want to have to make modifications to the car; going for a look similar to the attached image below. I'm sure this question has been addressed - does anyone know where I can go to learn a bit more about this or what sizes the rims / tires may be in the picture?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Grant

Scout.jpg

What engine is in the truck? Which transmission? What is the present differential gear ratio? What size tires and wheels are on the truck? What is your location/elevation?

CAR CAR i agree with Bill. you need a starting point ie what you have now. on my 73 scout i had 235/75/15 so i just upgraded to a more aggerssive bighorn maxxis 235.

Thank you - appreciate the help. It has an IH 345 v8 and the stock 4 speed transmission. I'm not entirely sure what the current tire size is, as I have yet to take delivery of the Scout; I just know the tires are old / are not suitable for driving in the sand, so I know I'll have to replace them. The previous owner told me the Scout had been raised 2 inches, but he's not sure what the differential gear ratio is. I live in New York and plan to drive the car to the beach / through the sand. Is that enough information to make a better evaluation with?

I was thinking tire size of 31x12.5x15, likely BFGoodrich Mud Terrain's, and rim size of 15 or 16x10. Does that sound about right?

Thanks so much!
    Grant

While waiting for delivery, go to the beach and look at the 'tread pattern' used by the lifeguard trucks. They are driving on the sand all day.

Just for your info ...........I have a '68 Scout 800, and some years ago I put on some Scout II ralley wheels. Fit perfect, and they look
    a bit better than the steel rims out '68 had. Just a thought .....it did have 16 inch steel wheels, but the ralley wheels are 15 inch. The
    chrome ralleys look nice too.

MJD