Thread: New guy here!!!!

Cool New guy here!!!!

I have aquired a 74 200 from my father that has a blown 345 in it and a torqueflite727, and i have a replacement 345 out of a 73 1-ton, ok so i found the motor mounts are different so im gonna do away with the side mounts and build a front mount off the X-member, i can run center dump manifolds, whats you guys thoughts?, my question is what is the saddle looking thing on the back of the engine, is it another engine/tranny mount? and also what would be the preffered engine oil brand/weight to run, and i also have a 5-speed tranny that came out of that 73 1-ton does anybody know what it is or what its worth? thanks!!!

as for the front mount you should have the holes already for the mount it is just two holes in the front x-member and a big u shaped bracket that bolts on the motor. motor oil most of us use it a diesel use oil the ih engine needs the zinc in it. i use rotella15/40. the 74/75 mounts where differant than the 73's something to do with the motor being more foward. as for the 5speed there were three t34,t35,t36. i don't know how to tell the differance never had one.

I would use Scout II engine mounts and build the adapter to the 74 side mounts on the frame from there. Once you see some scout engine mounts you will see why this would be an avenue to pursue. It may be easier to use the 73 mounts and install a new cross member, but I surely would build the cross member first to make sure it clears. You can add the 73 engine mount to the engine while it's still in the vehicle, then fab up the cross member with the rubber motor mount already in place. The holes are there in the 74 engine as well. They didn't take them out because the engines were still used in other applications.

The 1 ton trucks usually had a close ratio 5 speed, no overdrive. If 5th gear is forward and 4th gear is back, it's an OD T34. If not, it's a T35 or T36. The difference between them is one is a close ratio and one is a wide ratio. Think of the wide as having "about" the same gears 2-5 as the truck 4 speeds plus an extra granny, and the "close" as having the same gears as a 4 speed but an extra one in the mix between 1-4.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 04-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I would think about doin the scout motor mounts but there are no holes in the side of the 73 block, there are 2 boss's tucked way up under the front of the manifold, i think it would be easier to build a crossmember mount, lol

The scout engine mounts attach in the same place as the 73. The scout never used the side mounts that are on the 74 and later engines.

Do what you think is easiest. I'm not here to discourage you from it.
    Allan E.

ok cool i didnt know thats how the scout mounts were, thanks!! i live about 40 miles away from where the truck is so maybe i can look at it closer this weekend and see how i am gonna do it, i have a 4barrel intake for it should i put it on or leave it 2barrel and what would be the best carb to put on it

I have had the best luck with the Holley 390 cfm 4 barrel. Remember that this engine is not designed to sustain rpm above 3700, and shouldn't be run over 4400 at all. The smaller the cfm the better. The stock 2 barrel Holley is about 275 cfm for a 304, 310 cfm for a 345.

There are square and spreadbore carbs. Make sure you buy the right style.
    Allan E.