PDA

View Full Version : Scout on Veggie oil

eou_edu
12-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I process waste oil and run my dodge on it very sucessfully. After a long process I have finally ended here looking into scout diesel again. I friend of a friend has one for $1000 it's a 77 N/A in relativly good shape. I need something just for a hunting vehicle because the roads I drive are too rough on my dodge. I'm looking for a cheap diesel SUV that will run Straight veggie oil well. I've heard these have inline injection pumps (the blazer have rotary that don't like SVO). So I have a few questions;

1) Does anyone here run SVO in their diesel scout? Any issues?
2) I've read they have piston cracking problems is this as much of an issue with N/A diesel as turbo?
3) Would propane or wather/methnol injection to help keep EGT's down help prevent the problem?
4) Any parts hard and expensive to find for them? Where is a good place to get parts?

Thank you. I hope this isn't a second post my other one got lost somewhere.

cdef680
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I searched a long time for such an great article. Thank you very much.

TAWL_BOY
08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm really looking into the exact same info.

I have 3 Jeep CJ10-A Military Tugs with SD33N/A motors.

I'm interested in turboing and running SVO in the one I plan to make a daily driver.

gottbetter
05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I've been running B99.9 and WVO for almost two years. In the warmer months I run about 7 gallons of WVO out of 33. I've replaced a bunch of rubber hoses with Viton but Thats about it. I'm adding a secondary filter and perhaps a heater.

Allan E.
05-09-2011, 03:34 AM
The SD33 will run on vegetable oil. The biggest problem you will run into is that you MUST have the fuel lines free of all of the organic matter when you shut it off. The injectors will gum up in a hurry, especially in cool weather. The vegetable oil coagulates in cold weather, which means a complete disassembly and cleaning of the fuel system.

One of the ways around this is to leave the engine on all the time. Probably not the best way to go unless you are running a taxi service and have a warm place to service it.
The other way that is popular is to use a secondary fuel tank for the veggie oil. You switch to vegetable oil after the engine is warmed up, then back to diesel before you shut down.

You need to heat the veggie oil for use in winter for the reasons stated above. That can be done using a simple riser from the exhaust manifold and enhanced with a simple heater core from a small vehicle. A bit of sheet metal work would probably be involved.

There is some really good soy biodiesel coming out of Iowa that a friend in Nebraska uses regularly on his big rigs. It cost him about 20% less to fill his pair of 150 gallon tanks, so when diesel is 4 bucks a gallon, he saves 240 bucks. Fully loaded, he gets about 7 mpg, so the savings in fuel is over 11 cents per mile. He works on his own rigs, and he says that the engines and injectors have lasted much longer with the diesel.

The town of Lincoln, Nebraska uses this stuff in their city busses. Maintenance costs have dropped as a result for the same reason.

There are threads on biodiesel over on binder planet. Some of them are pretty good.

gottbetter
09-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I ran my SD33T on a blend of WVO and Bio Diesel. I'm in Los Angeles were the weather is warm. in the winter I would skip the WVO from Dec-Feb. The engine ran great. recently I threw a rod so looking at options. so far it looks like a 345. I can't find someone to rebuild and other diesels are pricey choices.