PDA

View Full Version : 80 diesel scout problem

AlphaWalt1
12-03-2009, 01:54 AM
I have an 1980 model scout with with the sd33-t engine that emits white smoke like you wouldn't believe, even after its warmed up. Every one tells me that the injection pump needs a rebuild, but the estimates I've gotten are outrageous. I was wondering about the 4bt swap. Do they make an adapter to fit the transmission in my scout? The swaps that I have seen were in v8 scouts, wonder if there was a reason for that?

lindstromjd
12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
If it runs and drives, I'm not so sure it's mainly the injection pump. It might be a little weak (after all, it's 30 years old), but there are other things you can check to help it out. Have you had the injectors looked at? They're actually really cheap to rebuild and will help a LOT if any of them are bad. Also, if the smoke smells "sweet" then you could have a cracked head. White smoke MIGHT be the engine burning anti-freeze. Do you ever have to fill your radiator, but never notice any spills on the ground when you park it?

lymnart09
12-30-2009, 07:08 AM
anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in the hunter valley area? i know cessnock diesel have a good name but they only do the injection side of things

schoust
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I am also entertaining the 4bt swap but my truck is a 69 800a. I would be interested in your truck if you want to sell? I have been looking for some time for a diesel Scout lmk..... If any of you all have any tips on the procedure please post up...