PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke advice

IHdiot
11-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I serached this forum but got no hits for the word "powerstroke." Is it considered an acceptable topic on here? If so, could use some advice. I have a chance to acquire a '97 Ford 15 passenger van with a Powerstroke diesel in it. It supposedly needs a head gasket on one side, so it is VERY reasonably priced. My question is, how hard is this going to be to change? I know vans are always a nightmare to reach in there and get to anything, but wondering if anyone here has worked on any such set-up? I do a lot of my own work, but also have two very reasonable mechanics that I use at times if I need to, so trying to get some idea of if it will be possible to do this with my own backyard mechanic tools, and if not, what will be entailed in getting it done by a mechanic? Thanks for any advice!

lindstromjd
11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Not to say that it's an un-acceptable topic, just that most people asking about them are wanting to put them into a Scout, and that's a headache and a half.

IHdiot
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Really? Thought I had read soomewhere that they were a similar dimension to an old 392, which is not that hard to put into a Scout! Must have heard wrong!!!

Thanks for input!

IHdiot
11-26-2009, 01:41 PM
So, let me put it this way-I can get the thing for $500, which I am thinking is a no-lose even if I just yank the engine and wait for a body to slap it in-in a pick up body maybe, cut out the hassles of the van body. And why the engine is out, go ahead and change the head. At this price, pretty much no lose, right?

lindstromjd
11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Sounds do-able enoug if you're willing to put forth the effort for it.

neepglasp
12-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Thanks for all the advice, i will probably only keep it a couple of years, but i think i will wait and see if anything else comes up, the price is too much for the miles it has done i think

Pete