PDA

View Full Version : will it bolt in ??

jesse Raymond
11-16-2009, 03:35 AM
hey guys,

curious if anybody has info or knows where to find it on swaping in a 7.3 liter power stroke motor. has it been done? will it bolt in and will it bolt up to the t-19?

jesse Raymond
11-16-2009, 04:35 AM
ok well never mind, ive read up on that headache. how about cummins....?

WarlordX
11-16-2009, 04:40 AM
I was thinking about doing something like this some day.. but my conclusion was, the easiest way to do it would be get a donor ranch truck.. and do an entire drive train swap. (you'd get beefier axles and less hassle) assuming you got the right truck lol.

jesse Raymond
11-16-2009, 04:50 AM
yeah i had a guy tell me that too. i just cant see scraping the whole drive train, there has to be something compatable and reasonably priced.

WarlordX
11-16-2009, 05:04 AM
SBC350s work well, need an adapter tho. That's the most common non ih engine swap done i believe.

jesse Raymond
11-16-2009, 05:13 AM
i would really like to keep it diesel though.

Allan E.
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
ok well never mind, ive read up on that headache. how about cummins....?

There have been several 4BT cummins swapped into scouts. Good swap, from what I understand. Don't know what transmissions were used. I'm a big fan of using a transmission that came with the engine, just working on the tail end of the transmission to make a t-case work. I just don't see the advantage of adapting an engine to a transmission unless I am positive that what I am doing will bolt right up.

WarlordX
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
/Agreed

Allan has a good point.

Ted_Olmsted
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
The Cummins 4BT came with a turbo 400 behind some of them. Problem is you need overdrive cause this engine doesn't rev very fast. Bigger problem is you will go deaf and rattle your fillings out with this engine. Better take a ride in someone's 4BT nightmare before you decide on this swap. I rode in a Chevy with a 4BT and couldn't believe the noise and vibration. Go strap yourself to an industrial paint shaker and if you like it, this swap could be for you.

lindstromjd
12-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Hmm... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if ANY engine rattles and shakes the daylights out of you like you're describing, then something wasn't done right in the swap. I've never known the 4bt to be a bad engine.

jesse Raymond
12-03-2009, 03:14 AM
!!!word!!!!

Ted_Olmsted
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I'll help you back off that limb you're out on and point out that I didn't say the 4bt was a bad engine. Generally 4 cyl inline engines vibrate more than straight 6 or V engines. Right? and the 4BT with that long stroke is on the high end of the vibration scale of all engines available. Not to mention noisy as all hell. And did I mention weight? Not that the boat anchor 392 is light by any means. The economy is incredible w/ the 4bt and they can be had for cheap and run forever. Fed Ex and Lays Chips vans run them all day long. I just think that folks should be aware that this engine comes with baggage and one might want to consider the mounting and noise mitigation aspects when deciding if the 4bt is right for them. It would be a shame for junior to discover all of this while he was running the baja on the way to Cabo with all the screws vibrating loose on his scout and his girlfriend's ears bleeding from the noise. Can you dig it?

lindstromjd
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Lol... ok, ok, I see your point.

unloala09
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Ok first off its a 97 trans am sbc550 h/p powerglide transmission.

I running on a low budget and Im trying to get the car going. If i beefed up the 10 bolt like with mosier axles, gears, and a spool would the rear end hold up? Is there something I could do to prolong its life so I can save up for a better rear end later on down the road?