PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage tips

Mike Reed
10-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi all - I'm planning on leaving the country for at least a year and i'm agonizing over selling my 1980 Scout II SD33T - anyone out there had any experience with long term storage? Will my scout weather a year of not running? Any tips about how to go about it? Or am I better off selling her to someone who will keep her running? - in the Scout's best interest that is.

Thanks, Mike

lindstromjd
10-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding someone who'll take good care of her for you while you're gone. :)

If you do keep it, do yourself a favor and make sure the fuel will last. Diesel lasts a little longer than gas does, but not by much. Get a good fuel preservative/additive. Run it until you're certain it's all through the lines, too, not just in the tank.

Ron
10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Mike, I have done this every year for about eight years now. I have a Scout in Colorado and I'm in Florida and when I go back it starts right up every time. This is what you do. Go to the local auto parts store and by one bottle of "Stabil" and one can of "Seafoam". Top off the gas tank on the way home and add Stbil at same time. This will give it a chance to run through carb. When you get ready to go jack it up if you can so that all tires are off ground. This will help tires from developing flat spots. Now take the top off the air cleaner, start the engine and warm it up for a minute. Hold the throtle linkage with one hand so it is at a fast idle and at the same time slowly poor the seafoam in the carb throat. It will smoke a lot. Continue to poor untill you stall/flood the engine. You are done have a nice trip and your Scout will be fine.

lindstromjd
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Not sure if that will work very well with a diesel engine... I've used seafoam in the fuel tank before and Stabil (that's the preservative I was thinking of and couldn't remember the name) and they're both great products, but purposely choking the engine out with seafoam? I'm just not sure how well a diesel will appreciate that. Of course, I could be totally wrong about all this...

79DieselScout
11-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Hey Ron,

your "carb throat" reference makes me think your Scout is a gas engine. I've done the seafoam choke on a Ranger 4.0 6 before, but I'm not sure I'd try it on a diesel. I wonder what effect would come from the much higher compression.

DJC