PDA

View Full Version : 76 Loadstar Brake problem

99silverado
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey guys, of course I have a brake problem. It's a typical problem I keep hearing about. I'm not sure if its a 1600 or 1700. I'm leaning to the 1600. Its GVW is 19200, and have the butterfly hood.

The problem is Im having trouble finding a hydrovac that fits it. I called Navistar and they tell me by the VIN it's a 84 CO 9600, which it's not. So they looked up a 1600 model and gave me the part number for the hydrovac. Crossed the part and ordered it and I got a booster that was firewall mounted, not frame mounted like I have. The tag on the hydrovac that I have doesn't cross with anyones parts numbers. I need a hydrovac that is frame mount for a single axle truck. Anyone have any idea how to identify this truck? Any help is appreciated.

99silverado
10-12-2009, 08:07 AM
If someone is better at looking up the VIN to identify the model let me know and I will get it to you.

Allan E.
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
There is a VIN decoder someplace on the net, but if you're just going by the frame number, it's missing a few digits, just a serial number. The complete VIN would be on the door frame, on a plate on the driver's door strike, on the dash, or some place pretty obvious. If you have the GVWR on the tag, the serial number is probably accurate. Too hard to do a body swap on a loadstar. Look at the serial number on the driver's side frame rail, just behind the front spring perch of the front spring pack. The numbers should match.

The vacuum booster under the driver's side cab is a pretty generic unit. I haven't seen any made after 68 that had one of those, since dual chamber master cylinders were required in 68 and later. My dump truck had one like that, and so does my fire truck. The later ones, just have never really looked. My 78 had hydroboost, and my 73 had air brakes.

baldscout
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
The vin decoder that I think Allan is mentioning is quickvin dot com. No guarantee on that though, I know that the writer of it was primarily looking at smaller rigs.

99silverado
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Where do you guys find parts for these trucks is what I need to know more than anything.

kb-14
10-14-2009, 07:52 AM
scoutparts.com has a bunch of Loadstar parts available including hydrovacs.

888-288-0550

stu simpson
10-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Any medium duty truck center will either have what you need or be able to reman it in 3 days or less. Where are you located?

hakcrame73
10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
on my malibu, the driver side brake caliper is sticking for some reason. i completely burned up one greenstuff brake pad, funny thing is that it was the pad on the outside of the wheel.

is there anything i can do to stop it from sticking or should i just get a new caliper?

stu simpson
10-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Hey guys, of course I have a brake problem. It's a typical problem I keep hearing about. I'm not sure if its a 1600 or 1700. I'm leaning to the 1600. Its GVW is 19200, and have the butterfly hood.

The problem is Im having trouble finding a hydrovac that fits it. I called Navistar and they tell me by the VIN it's a 84 CO 9600, which it's not. So they looked up a 1600 model and gave me the part number for the hydrovac. Crossed the part and ordered it and I got a booster that was firewall mounted, not frame mounted like I have. The tag on the hydrovac that I have doesn't cross with anyones parts numbers. I need a hydrovac that is frame mount for a single axle truck. Anyone have any idea how to identify this truck? Any help is appreciated.

Please post the VIN and the tag numbers that you have on the unit. I have the parts manuals on microfiche and I can see if I can get a cross for you. There is a medium buty truck center close to me and I can see if they have one on the shelf. This is an easy part to find... I don't know why your IH dealer is having trouble.

75ih4x4150
07-30-2010, 04:30 AM
i just changed a single stack under the floor, reman from Bumper To Bumper
WAG 518022

74RustyLoadstar
02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Allan E.
I do not know much about IH trucks but I have one sitting in the field and I would like to make it operational again. It is a 74 Loadstar with a front tilt hood. The cab is very rusty and I want to replace it. I can find plenty of the butterfly type hood trucks near me, but I can't find one like mine with a tilt hood to use for parts. You said it is too hard to do a cab swap in one of your posts. My question is: why is it too hard and will a butterfly type hood cab work on my tilt hood type cab? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Allan E.
03-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Allan E.
I do not know much about IH trucks but I have one sitting in the field and I would like to make it operational again. It is a 74 Loadstar with a front tilt hood. The cab is very rusty and I want to replace it. I can find plenty of the butterfly type hood trucks near me, but I can't find one like mine with a tilt hood to use for parts. You said it is too hard to do a cab swap in one of your posts. My question is: why is it too hard and will a butterfly type hood cab work on my tilt hood type cab? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
It may not be too hard for you. Only you would know that. I don't have the resources to do it, but I know some folks who don't see any job as too big for them. It's one of the things I like about IH trucks. Lots of friends with knowledge and talent.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to find a replacement. On the other hand, it may be cheaper to buy the whole truck and swap the drivetrain. That's how I normally do it. I'm used to plenty of good bodies around me, and I simply scrounge engines and such to put in them.

I believe the tilt hoods were used in the later model of Loadstar as well as being an option in the early models. It may be the same hood. I have been told that they are the same, but I had no way to verify it, and I have only seen one tilt hood on an early Loadstar. No way to compare.

The butterfly or gull wing hood setup wouldn't work on the later trucks, but that would not mean the tilt hoods are different.

Dave Nuenke
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I just finished going through the brakes on a 1600 Loadstar at work. The booster was one of the few thing that I didn't have to replace. Check your glove box and owners manual and see if by some chance there might be a small piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it, that's the build sheet and is the best way to order parts for these rigs. The booster should be easy though, it's not like trying to find the correct brake group. My medium duty parts book is missing that section (you get what you pay for on E-Bay sometimes), or I'd just look up the number for you. A good dealer should be able to help you out though.

Dave

S&WCUSTOMS
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
i need to find the brake pad that goes over the drum that is attatched right behind the transmission on a 72 loadstar flatbed.

jeff campbell
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
take the old 1 and the brake band it attatche's to to your local brake & spring shop,i'm sure they can replace the lining.jeff