PDA

View Full Version : 80 diesel scout recommendation?

jeff.hunt
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
think I;m losing a little oil too, not a leak, but burning off perhaps? can anyone recommend a good oil and additive for burning oil. I don't see any smoke except occasionally from exhaust, thanks.

lindstromjd
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
What kind of oil are you running in it now?

jeff.hunt
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
i think rototel 10w-50, something like that? I'll have to ask the mechanic who changed the oil

lindstromjd
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
And how many miles are on the engine? You might be burning a little. How much are you losing between oil changes?

I use Rotella 15w-40 in mine. I also converted to the spin-on style oil filter.

jeff.hunt
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM

I just had it changed, and on next fill up checked level and think it was half way on dipstick, where it had been 3/4 after oil change. I never see any spots beneath car when parked, so I think it's burning some. I wanted to carry some around so will try 15w-40, are any of these additives in auto parts store good for the burning oil problem?

(I'm not entirely sure its burning oil, I will have to fill and refill and monitor the oil a few times to be sure, by am pretty sure at this point that it might be burning some, and wouldn't hurt to use one of these additives preventively.)

lindstromjd
09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I think the only additive that I like is Restor, but I've only ever used it in gasoline engines.

I'd check to make sure your engine case was filled up with enough oil to begin with. The SD33 takes 3 gallons of oil, and almost 2 quarts of that go into the filter once you get the oil pump working to get oil to the whole system.