PDA

View Full Version : engine and axle question

Steve32
09-22-2009, 05:31 AM
I need some info. help, i have a 1965 d800 scout and i rebuilt the dana 27 axles on it. the question i have is that i want to put a bigger motor in it than the original 196. i just want to know what type of motor would be sufficent a V6 ,straight six or V8, 305, or 350 to run with dana 27's. i don't know if the axles can take the power or torque that a v8 will put out on it. i just need some advice. thank you for your time and help

steve

freckles
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I need some info. help, i have a 1965 d800 scout and i rebuilt the dana 27 axles on it. the question i have is that i want to put a bigger motor in it than the original 196. i just want to know what type of motor would be sufficent a V6 ,straight six or V8, 305, or 350 to run with dana 27's. i don't know if the axles can take the power or torque that a v8 will put out on it. i just need some advice. thank you for your time and help

steve
The Dana 27 is okay for up to about a 305 v8, but it really doesn't like lots of torque. Remember, Jeeps used the 27 for years, they've been the victims of MANY engine swaps, and they live for a long time if treated respectfully. If it were mine, I'd look for a set of Dana 44 Scout axles, against the time I got too rambunctious with the right foot. If you've never suffered from 'leadfootitis', you might ignore this.
I've personally never been lucky enough to push the luck I'm granted very far. Plan 'B' always needs to be addressed eventually.
But yeah, the Dana 27 will live quite a while if treated well.

Cheers!
Mike

Steve32
09-27-2009, 04:53 AM
thank you for the advice your right about looking for some dana 44's, but i have rebuilt the old dana 27's. And by what you say i'm probably just going to throw a straight six in there so there is not so much torque as there would be in a 305 or so. this is the last thing i would have to do to get it started that is why i am seeking advice. thank you for your advice i appreciate it very much

steve

redhead_823
03-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Why would you want a chevy engine in it?

WarlordX
03-05-2010, 05:42 AM
heyy dont be so mean to us chevy swappers lol !!

But in reality i would rather have a 392.. but thats gona be a long long term project