PDA

View Full Version : New to diesels change of elbow? other questions

tmaxster
09-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I am new to scout diesels. A guy told me that i could change the elbow for airflow and pick up a little power.
Also the scout I bought was a new engine about 10 K miles ago if maintained do these run like a normal diesel I.E. a hundred thousand or better miles or do they come apart because they were not really built to run in a Scout? I guess the question is how reliable are they?
SO far it runs very well no smoke but just curious. ALso has anyone documented a bio diesel conversion on the SD 33 T?
Is there an archive of threads I can read?
Happy Labor Day!
BBQ and Adult beverages for everyone it has been a tough year....

lindstromjd
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
The SD-33's will easily last 100k ++ on mileage if you take good care of them. And the vehicle they were originally designed to run in was a Nissan Patrol; very similar to the Scouts, and actually produced longer than Scouts were. You can find lots of parts for them in Australia. I can't say about how to get extra power from the engine just by changing the intake though; I went and upgraded my turbo and put an inter-cooler on mine.

tmaxster
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply I will study up on diesels and see what I can do with it. It runs well. 70 is about max but around town it is getting very good mileage.

lindstromjd
09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
That's pretty normal. I don't get much more than 70 out of mine, either, and at "high" speeds like that, the engine's working pretty hard so I don't like to get any above it.

If you're going to make a switch to bio-diesel, make sure you change out your plastic fuel lines. B-D eats right through that stuff, and clogs up your fuel filter. You'll probably end up needing new injectors after a short while too. I can't say either way about it going or not going with it though, because personally I just don't like B-D. I do know that CNN did a special once about driving all the way across country using B-D and they actually got a hold of an old diesel Scout to do it in. They didn't do any modifications at all to it, and the only problem they had with it was the fuel lines, and sometimes they were getting as low as 15 mpg on it.

With an engine as old as the SD-33, you could go with a vegetable oil conversion without any modifications except a fuel heater.

Allan E.
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I am new to scout diesels. A guy told me that i could change the elbow for airflow and pick up a little power.
Also the scout I bought was a new engine about 10 K miles ago if maintained do these run like a normal diesel I.E. a hundred thousand or better miles or do they come apart because they were not really built to run in a Scout? I guess the question is how reliable are they?
SO far it runs very well no smoke but just curious. ALso has anyone documented a bio diesel conversion on the SD 33 T?
Is there an archive of threads I can read?
Happy Labor Day!
BBQ and Adult beverages for everyone it has been a tough year....

I ran a 1980 diesel traveller on bio-diesel from Lincoln, Nebraska to the Nationals in 2007. Got 26 mpg and it ran just fine.

There are different types of bio-diesel. The stuff we used was soy based, made in Idaho.

We also ran it in the 18 wheeler. Got 7.8 mpg for the trip.

I would not run it in winter. You also will want to run on standard diesel fuel for a few minutes before shutting off if the weather gets the least bit chilly. That takes more work that it's worth as far as I'm concerned, but to each his own. During the summer, you can just run it straight.

Let me repeat, not all bio-diesel is created equal. Know what you're using.

An SD33T should go 250K with no problem. Like all diesels, if you open up the exhaust, they breathe better and create more power. An internal combustion engine is just an air pump, so whatever you do to allow it to pump air better gives you more power. It really is that simple... not that easy, maybe, but that simple.

tmaxster
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Allen

Is there an archive of information on diesel threads on this web site?

lindstromjd
09-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks Allen

Is there an archive of information on diesel threads on this web site?

Not really much of an archive here because of the old info being moved to B*i*n*d*e*r P*l*a*n*e*t. If you go there though there's quite the wealth of info for diesels. I was browsing there the other day and found out that you can pull another 2-3 mpg just by adding a good cowl induction and by changing the intake manifold on a turbo engine to a n/a intake because they've got bigger ports and move more air. I couldn't help myself and called Super Scouts and have a "new" intake in the mail as of a few days ago.