PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

rneun
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi well I have a SD-33 in my boat which is currently in the middle of the south pacific ( Nuku Hiva) I am having problems starting the diesel, I have changed the primary and secondary filter gone over the whole fuel system including the guaze filter in the lift pump. I can see no visable sings of fuel leaks. If I crank the engine long enough it will finaly start. The engine oil presure ia 50lb the temp is also fine. Could it be thr glow plugs? There is definatly a voltage drop when the preheat bitton is pushed. How can I test them. Thanks Bob

lindstromjd
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
The diesels are definitely a very cold-blooded engine. If it's cold outside, they don't like to start, ever. Mine starts much easier in the summer than it does in winter, even with cycling the glow plugs 4-5 times to warm up the intake a little. You can test the glow plugs with a voltmeter; just have someone push the button while you have the tester on each plug. They should all read about the same output.

plumber562
08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
take your glow plugs and make sure they are working. buy running current thought them see if they get red......

millco
09-18-2009, 01:03 AM
You can also remove the wire from them one at a time and use the ohm function of your DMM to see what it's resistance is. I don't know the figure for these but they should all be similar. If you find one that is open (Very high ohms) or shorted (Almost 0 ohms) then change that one out. No need to change any that check good. Run them till they fail... On a lot of diesels loosing one or two will make them very hard to start!

What air temp are you having trouble starting it at? If it is above 50 or 60F then you might have a fuel leak letting air into the system. If so, is it harder to start after setting over night or so.. (Maybe longer or shorter). If it is off long enough to cool down and starts back up well, it is probably that air leak. Double check your fuel system for a very small leak. Check the water drain valve as it may be the culpruit.
HTH,
Dan

neepglasp
12-11-2009, 01:20 AM
i remember with my MK1 TD, I had the worst time starting the car in the winter untill i changed the oil to full syn. never had a problem starting since.

bluescout
12-11-2009, 03:05 AM
How long do you have to crank it? Does it smoke out the exhaust while cranking?

My procedure in my Scout is hold the glow plugs about 50 seconds, give it about 1/4 throttle, and crank it. It starts quickly but runs very rough so I keep the throttle up enough to keep it running very low, hold the glow plugs on another 30 seconds or so and it'll clear up. How does your starting procedure and your result differ from this?

Ted_Olmsted
12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Cold start is not an issue! It's either fuel or ignition. The post about glow plugs and OHM meter are spot on. Slight amounts of either on a rag @ the intake can jump start the engine but don't get 'visible' either near the intake or cracked pistons may result. If no luck, try cracking the metal fuel line at the first injector and looking for bubbles indicating air when you crank the engine. This would need to be entering from somewhere like a leak in the fuel system.

You might have algae in the tank in this warm marine environment. What's your fuel looking like?

Good luck Bro. Go surfing while you're in the south pacific. Most of these Scout hillbillies will never know what a Double Overhead S.Pacific barrel over a reef is all about. Dig It!

lindstromjd
12-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Cold start is not an issue! It's either fuel or ignition. The post about glow plugs and OHM meter are spot on. Slight amounts of either on a rag @ the intake can jump start the engine but don't get 'visible' either near the intake or cracked pistons may result. If no luck, try cracking the metal fuel line at the first injector and looking for bubbles indicating air when you crank the engine. This would need to be entering from somewhere like a leak in the fuel system.

You might have algae in the tank in this warm marine environment. What's your fuel looking like?

Good luck Bro. Go surfing while you're in the south pacific. Most of these Scout hillbillies will never know what a Double Overhead S.Pacific barrel over a reef is all about. Dig It!

Seems how we're talking a diesel here, it's obviously not an "ignition" problem. The issue we're trying to address isn't that it's cold outside and the engine doesn't want to start, it's more that the SD-33 just plain doesn't like to start at all unless the block is already warm (150+ degrees, as if from running and slightly cooling down).

jeff.hunt
12-15-2009, 04:38 AM
I can chime in on this one. I have the same model engine. in warmer weather I hold the glowplug once in the morning for about 20 seconds. After that, if I drive for say 10 minutes, it will start all day without it, or if I push it and turn ignition at same time, but without waiting the 20 seconds.

Since it's turned colder, 40-50's average. I'm having to get a little trickier, sometimes going through the glowplug cycle a few times, then giving it some fuel to keep from dying til it warms up. Also runs real rough in those case like other poster mentioned.

I was actually thinking of getting new glowplugs til I saw this post, sounds like it's just standard, but I might try to test and replace any that seem bad to see if I can get it better.

Does anyone have a diesel that you just hit the glowplug and start like newer diesels? Just wondering what the best it can run.

lindstromjd
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I finally caved in and bought a brand new set of glow plugs for mine from a company in Australia. Haven't installed them yet because unfortunately the Scout has fallen to a kind of low priority for me, but I'll definitely let everyone know if it works any better with brand new ones.

alfordaln
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
U didn't get information booklet, how to adjust it- i hope mention in book. Please try to
find and follow it.. If anybody know another way then please suggest here.

bluescout
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I finally caved in and bought a brand new set of glow plugs for mine from a company in Australia. Haven't installed them yet because unfortunately the Scout has fallen to a kind of low priority for me, but I'll definitely let everyone know if it works any better with brand new ones.

Just check the GPs for voltage. Some stuff in Australia is 24V I think.

lindstromjd
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Just check the GPs for voltage. Some stuff in Australia is 24V I think.

Already did; I noticed that when I was researching them. I did get the 12v ones and finally got them installed. Didn't help at all with the starting, so I'm going to go with a fuel pre-heater and maybe install one of my old glow plugs in the intake to help warm up the incoming air too. Just trying to stay as far away from the ether as I can... I just had the stupid thing rebuilt and don't want to destroy it.