PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!!.....just bough a 45 k5

rustedratrod45
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
i just bought a 45 IH k5. i need to find out what the bolt pattern is so i can get rid of the split rims. as sad as it sounds i need to figure out how to start it....im not to sure how that starter peddle ties into everything.

Allan E.
12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Try a search on the Sunflower IH Reunion. That will give you a lead on local people who are IH literate. You are in the backyard of one of the best places to own an old K series truck.

john breeze
12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
put it in neutral pull the choke turn on the switch press the starter pedal down. all the starter pedal does is engage the starter. as for wheels i don't know

rustedratrod45
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
yeah i feel a bit foolish now because of that whole pedal situation but i figured it out although it turns over but i get no spark and i ruled out the distributor so it looks like i have a bad coil on my hands and instead of replacing it with a 6v one im just going to go though rewire the whole thing, replace the generator, and all the lights. ill go ahead and throw a fuse bus in along with a few fuse-able cables running off the batteries, but i am going to leave the 6v starter and just put a voltage reducer before it.....thanks for the help

Allan E.
12-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Almost all the coils for 12 volt points ignitions are 6 volt coils. When the change occurred, it was necessary to reduce the voltage to the coil so that the points would not burn up. A resistor was added, commonly called a "ballast resistor." IH used a "resistance wire" that accomplished the same thing. The whole point was to drop the coil voltage in order to limit the current.

Chances are you have a bad condensor if you are getting signal to the coil and it has voltage. Easy to check with a meter or even a test light. The purpose of the condensor is to provide a discharge path for the coil voltage when the points open. The slight delay caused by the capacitance shapes the waveform, allowing the coil to work. If you simply open the points without the condensor, you will have "tachometer" signal, but no spark.

Those engines start pretty easy, so once you get spark, it may just go.

It makes no sense to mess with the starter when you convert. 12 volts will spin a 6 volt starter without hurting it. The solenoid may not like it, but you can have your starter rebuilt to handle 12 volts if it becomes a problem. I have run conversions with original starters for years without a problem. You're talking about running over 100 amps, even on that low compression engine. Dropping from 12 to 6 volts at 100 amps requires a resistor you simply won't find.