PDA

View Full Version : MV446 Electronic Ignition

ironmatt44
10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a 1977 1800 Loadstar with a 446 and no spark. It has electronic ignition with a box labeled LX-405. I've never had E.I. and am not sure how to trouble shoot it. I put a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs in but everything up stream is used. Any help would be great.

Allan E.
10-12-2011, 04:06 AM
If it's a 77, it's likely the same box as used on scouts, pickups, and travelalls. Should be gold colored. We call it the Holley Gold Box. The distributor would then be a Holley as well. There is a magnetic (hall effect, I think...) pickup in the distributor that just pulses an input to the box. The box is a signal generator/amplifier that puts out an amplified pulse to the coil.

If that's what it looks like, it's the ignition module for a 75-77 Scout, 75 pickup or travelall. Any light line dealer will have them, and you can also get them from NAPA, Carquest, etc. Shop around a little. Prices vary from 50-150 bucks for the same item. Summit Racing lists the LX-405 for $63.13 when you type it into the search engine if it's not the gold box.