PDA

View Full Version : Diesel swap options

Cdiver
10-08-2011, 05:38 AM
I have a 75 scout II with the 345 in it. I'd like to put a diesel in it, but I've heard that the scout diesel doesn't have much power. Is this true? I don't need a super duper balls out crazy strong engine, just wondering if there is something a little better. Anyone know of other diesel's people have put in their scouts? 4 cyl john deere, or lister or something? I heard from one guy that someone used a diesel out of an old UPS truck. I'd like to do it as simple as possible. Also what about a tranny, do I need a different one?

Scout4BTA
10-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Doing a Diesel swap is not too expensive, you will need some fabrication and welding skills.
IMHO, the SD33T is worthless, good only for a boat anchor. Had one in my Scout when I bought it, swapped in a 4BTA and never looked back. JD Diesel have never been approved for on road use, (EPA approved). You should use a Diesel that was meant for on-road use not taken from a generator or other industrial use.
The two most popular Diesel swaps is the Cummins 4BT and the Isuzu 4BD1T/2T. Using the 4BT you can set it up with Dodge (my favorite) chevy or ford transmissions and accessories. Also you can use and SAE housing,
You will have to replace the transmission with one having a overdrive because of the lower rpm that the Diesel turns.
Take a look at 4BTswaps.com, there's a lot of Scout Diesel swaps posted there.

dubl_t
11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Like what Scout4BTA said, you're gonna need fab skills and tools or money.
My idea would be to buy a run down mid-80's diesel truck, either ford or gm, and just start swapping parts. I've seen diesel 4x4's selling for as low as $750 around here lately. Of course my objective is to keep it on the "cost effective" side (with a daughter in college), so figure out what your objective is, and why you want to re-power.

pnwscout
11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
As stated check out 4btswaps.com, there are several options for small diesel engines swaps, each with their ups and downs. If you go anything but scout diesel you're gonna want to get a 4 or 5 speed tranny, which also means new transfer case (or adapter) and probably new drivelines.

I am currently working on a 4DB2T swap into a scout 800. The sticking point right now is transmission adapters. There are only 2 people who make them one guy only does the NV4500 and the other guy does ford and GM auto tranny's. The auto tranny guy has been MIA for a few months now so the NV4500 is the only option, but the nv4500 guy is working on an auto tranny adapter too and should have it done by the first of the year. I really wanted to go with a 4l80e auto tranny, but if the adapters dont become available the NV4500 will work too.

I personally like the isuzu diesels over the 4bts as they are quieter and the 4db2t comes factory with an intercooler. They use a drivers side drop for the exhaust which overcomes one of the issues with a 4bt which is passenger side and conflicts with the transfercase. You can also get a nice exhaust brake (also factory) for them. Both the 4db1t and 4db2t can be run with or without the factory ECM. The isuzu (or gm rebadged) NPR trucks are easy to find. I picked up a complete running truck for $1800 and I'll probably make most of that back parting out/scrapping what I don't use.