PDA

View Full Version : Ih 1066

ih1066
12-28-2010, 09:50 AM
hello im new to the international world and i recently acquired a 1066 with a black stripe. I was wondering if anyone knows about the shift pattern on the transmission all help is appreciated. thank you

Dave Nuenke
02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I think a 1066 has the same shift setup as my 856, whichis as follows. The lever on the left controls high and low range, low forward and high back. The lever on the right is 1-2-3-4, starting with 1 all the way forward. 1 high is a higher gear than 4 low.

Dave

ih1066
02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
thank you for your info i was also wondering about how to find the reverse range and what would cause the range selector to stick in a range and not be able to get out of that range back to neutral on a 1066?

Dieselscout2
03-18-2011, 03:12 PM
yea, its a tad late but reverse off to the right and down. so from neutral, you go towards the right and then down. one problem that the 66 series have is the linkage gets worn, so your shifter can jump out, and that can cause you to get "hung up" between ranges. also is could be as simple as just needing some oil. hope this helped

Dave Nuenke
04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
66 Series shift linkages stick, it's just a fact of life. If it's real bad, I think you can replace the swivel joints on the ends, though some grease and TLC can work wonders too. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a neighbor with a similar tractor, he might be your best resource, it's always easier to point things out while you're looking at them rather than over a computer. If that's not an option, look at your local farm store for an IT manual that covers your tractor, they are usually under $30 and give lots of good info and diagrams.

Dave

Nebrfarmr
09-08-2012, 01:52 AM
The range lever is the one closest to the hood. Forward is High range, back is low range. From neutral (mid) position, reverse is over to the right, and back.
The gear lever is the other one, it is 1-2-3-4, in a straight line, with 1 being forward, and 4 all the way back.

I have driven one more hours than I care to admit, and have had the tranny stuck in a range more than once. If it gets 'stuck' the best way I have found to tell, is to look down where the park lock linkage goes down through the floor. There is a flat metal piece, that drops down, through two slots in the gear linkages (one linkage is the H-L shaft, the other the reverse shaft). With the gear selector in Neutral, both slots should line up directly below the flat piece that drops into the slots. If they do not, use a pliers handle or screwdriver to pry the offending one back into place. You will need to get any load off the driveline to do this.
Also, if the linkage appears to move, but it does not shift the range, you could have sheared off a roll pin in the linkage. Ours likes to do that every few years. To access, remove the right hand battery, and the linkage will be behind where it was. There is a vertical 'pipe' that fits over a shaft going into the tranny housing, that 'twists' when you shift gears. When the roll pin breaks, the 'pipe' rotates, but the shaft will not. It is easy enough to replace, but be very, very, very careful not to let the shaft fall 'down' too far into the housing.