PDA

View Full Version : Cummins swap

woodsy
12-16-2010, 02:48 PM
i need some advice here.i have a 1977 traveler that i want to put on the frame of a 1992 dodge ram pick up.the dodge is a solid rolling chassis.the frame will have to be shortened and custom driveshafts and all that good stuff.i am trying to figure out if it is easier to lift the scout body and set it on the dodge frame or just pull the motor,trans,trans case and axles from the dodge and put them in the scout frame?either way i know it is a big job but i want a solid running daily driver that i can run 35's with no problems.any insight is appreciated.

ih1066
12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
many people use the frame from the dodge and set the body on the frame. i dont believe the scouts frame will handle the torque of the 12 valve. is there any problems with clearance of the firewall and the back of the 12 valve head as far as body fabrications goes?

P&L Black Smoke Customs
01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't believe the IH frame will handle the weight or the torque of the Cummins. Even the early Dodge diesels had problems with the frame and undercarriage.
I have seen two Scout travelers with a 5.9b motor transplant. One was very clean, if I had the money I would hire him to work in my shop. The other one not so much, point is though is that they both were essentially shoe horned in there. If your looking for a daily driver I would sell the dodge you have now and reinvest in a Cummins 4bt. You can then use your current frame and have a better power to weight ratio. Either way post up some pic's I would like to see it.

Scout4BTA
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Going with a shortened Dodge frame is a good idea. To fit a 89-93 Dodge 6B your going to need between 38-39 inches between the firewall and the radiator. Then you need another 2-3 inches for the intercooler. The 92 intercooler will fit where the radiator sits now if you need the room for a AC condenser up front. Only way to get that amount of room is to take it out of the firewall. You'll need to change to the 94 and up Dodge fan mount to keep the fan from going through the hood.

PM me if you need more details. My DD is my 1980 Scout with a 4BTA, my other ride is a 92 Dodge Diesel.

Cummins Travelall
02-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello, checking post

Cummins Travelall
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Check out my pix of my Travelall on a 93 Dodge frame. Buying a complete donor truck and shortening the frame and new body mounts are the best and easiest way to go. I finished mine in July 2009 and it works great. The swap took me a few months and that was only working on it during my days off. So I would be more than happy to help if you had any questions.

gottbetter
05-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I would love to add a 4BT. I just dont know where to start!

P&L Black Smoke Customs
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Start saving your pennies, I just did a tentative quote on installing a 4B in a model 800 and it came out at just under 2K and that's with him supplying all the parts.

gottbetter
09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
so that would be about 6K all in? My SD33T threw a rod and I can't find anyone to rebuild. looking at a 345 :-( but would love a 4BT.

P&L Black Smoke Customs
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I think I'm a little far away for you but try checking with Chris at Rock Tek Off Road. 562 690 0405. He's in La Habra. Tell him Paul Pearson sent you. It may or may not help.

Scout4BTA
09-24-2011, 01:55 PM
so that would be about 6K all in? My SD33T threw a rod and I can't find anyone to rebuild. looking at a 345 :-( but would love a 4BT.
My repower cost at least $7K, but I bought a lot of the part new.
Used cutout 4bt $3000 (2001)
New Nv4500 $?
New Atlas Tcase $?
It adds up quickly but can be done cheaper.

59CumminsScoutII
01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I put a 12 valve in a scout II and the engine fits under the hood when you remove the engine driven fan and there isn't room for the radiator either... I have the radiator mounted the the back of a custom bumper with electric puller fans. if i could start over I would probably have moved the fire wall back a little so I could keep the radiator in front of the motor. I kept the scout frame and dash but have used the dodge master cylinder, steering box, steering column, springs, axles, trans and transfer case.

TX Travelall
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Check out my pix of my Travelall on a 93 Dodge frame. Buying a complete donor truck and shortening the frame and new body mounts are the best and easiest way to go. I finished mine in July 2009 and it works great. The swap took me a few months and that was only working on it during my days off. So I would be more than happy to help if you had any questions.

Sorry to hijack and resurrect but as a newbie I can't message you.

Would you mind providing more information on your swap?
Did you start with a standard cab truck frame?
What, besides the body mounts and shortening the frame, did you do to the Dodge frame?

Looks good!

krob
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
From what i have been told with the 4bt you can use a the 5speeds that came our of late 80 ealry 90s fords, i believe its a M5BAR2. THe ones that were mated to a 302 or 6 cly have the same bolt pattern and bellcasing as a 4BT used in a Ford application. So no adapters. Just FYI
Rob

gregoryhwrd
02-16-2012, 09:02 AM