PDA

View Full Version : what size engine do i have

maddog
11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a 1600 loadstar,will the engine died (304). I purchased a used engine from salvage thinking it is a 345. I can't find any numbers on the block boss for ID.This engine does have engine oil cooler attached to the oil filter housing requiring two lower radiator hoses.If you have any thoughts, please help.

Allan E.
11-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I have a 1600 loadstar,will the engine died (304). I purchased a used engine from salvage thinking it is a 345. I can't find any numbers on the block boss for ID.This engine does have engine oil cooler attached to the oil filter housing requiring two lower radiator hoses.If you have any thoughts, please help.

IH SV series engines vary quite a bit, but the accessories and setups are interchangeable. You can bolt on air compressors that run off engine oil, aux oil filters and coolers, pulleys to drive all sorts of things, and the list goes on and on. It's the same engine. In the 70s, the 304 and 345 engines used in Scouts, pickups, and travelalls used less hardening on the cranks and valves, I believe, but were otherwise the same engine. You can swap the setup into your loadstar.

The rebuilds and the early 266 engines do not always have the numbers on the side. If you're sure it's an SV series, the gadgets hooked to the oil filter don't matter. They interchange. You can swap or replace the originals from your truck.

On the cannister style oil filters, the outside is the pressure side. You can run oil from there to a secondary filter or to an oil cooler. I have not seen the coolers, but I have had a couple that had secondary (franz) oil cleaners. This also could feed the air compressor, but normally that is done from the oil galley where you find the plugs on the left side of the engine, the same place you install the oil pressure sending unit.

maddog
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks Allan

One other question, the carburetors on the 304 and 345 look the same. Does this mean they are the same? ( two barrel Holley)

Allan E.
11-24-2010, 04:00 AM
They're pretty close to the same. I don't know if they're identical, but I'm betting you can swap them without disasterous results. There would probably be more difference from a 304 on a loadstar to a 304 on a scout than from a 304 to 345 on one or the other. The loadstars are going to run a little richer.

kallu55
12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I am an antique collector and I am in the habit of collecting loadstars. I have got one already and I would like to increase the number to two. I will be interested in buying good condition loadstars. I am ready to pay a good amount of money for them. Please let me know if anybody has got one to sell.

Allan E.
12-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I am an antique collector and I am in the habit of collecting loadstars. I have got one already and I would like to increase the number to two. I will be interested in buying good condition loadstars. I am ready to pay a good amount of money for them. Please let me know if anybody has got one to sell.

There are loadstars all over the country. It helps to know what part of the country you live in. Loadstars are very common in most places.