PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater for SD33T

Tabercro
10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
I'd like to add a block heater to my SD33T. I bought a Kat's block heater that is supposed to work with the SD33. It is model 11411. It didn't specify whether or not it fit the SD33T. This is a 35mm frost plug replacement.

I'm wondering which plug to pull from the block and whether or not it really makes a difference.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
Portland, Maine

3rd generation
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Mine has two block heaters, both on the exhaust manifold side of the engine. One is just above the steel oil feed line, to the turbo. The other, at the rear of the block, is just forward of the end of the starter motor.
A couple years ago I replaced one of my block heaters, however 34mm keeps coming back to me as the size. Also, if I remember correctly I could not get a 1300, or 1600 watt, and ended up with a 900 watt Kat's. It does not seem to affect the cold weather starting though.

bluescout
12-02-2010, 04:16 AM
I bought a Katz one many years ago. I put it in the core plug in the middle right behind the turbo. It only draws 350 watts but it works fine and warms the engine up in a couple hours.

kallu55
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Before going in for a purchase you have to make sure about which block heater would be the most suitable for your car engine. I know next to nothing about block heaters but have read that they are used for heating car engines in cold weather. Don’t know if this particular Kat’s Heater can be fitted on both the SD33 and SD33T engines. If it isn’t specified then it should work. A qualified tech could best answer this!

gottbetter
05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I have both plugs. Not sure of the size but it defiantly makes a difference. Freezing temps and the engine fires right up

Dave Nuenke
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
There is a correct block heater for an SD33 listed by application, and 2 heaters are actually recomended. I think they are to be installed in the first and third freeze plugs, but I do remember that the instructions with the heaters specified where to install. I honestly don't remember what brand mine are, it's been quite a few years, but if Kats doesn't have a listing, try another brand.

Dave