PDA

View Full Version : 1980 diesel scout vacuum pump

blown07gt
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
hello everyone, new to this whole Scout thing have always wanted one and finally got a 1980 diesel. purchased from my uncle who was the original owner. its sat for about 4 years and has 70,000 original miles put a battery in it and she fired rite up. after getting it home i noticed all the belts need to be replaced and a few other little things but other than that its in great shape. Few rust spots on the under carage but nothing that cant be fixed. After replacing the belts i noticed the brakes still dont work as they should rock hard pedal and im thinking that the vacuum pump is bad. anyone know where i could get one or get the original one rebuilt? Im located in southern jersey. the pump puts out enough vacuum to turn on the wipers but no heat and no brakes. i checked all the vacumm lines and they are leak free as far as i can tell but will take any info i can get. Thanks

Easy_k
10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
hello everyone, new to this whole Scout thing have always wanted one and finally got a 1980 diesel. purchased from my uncle who was the original owner. its sat for about 4 years and has 70,000 original miles put a battery in it and she fired rite up. after getting it home i noticed all the belts need to be replaced and a few other little things but other than that its in great shape. Few rust spots on the under carage but nothing that cant be fixed. After replacing the belts i noticed the brakes still dont work as they should rock hard pedal and im thinking that the vacuum pump is bad. anyone know where i could get one or get the original one rebuilt? Im located in southern jersey. the pump puts out enough vacuum to turn on the wipers but no heat and no brakes. i checked all the vacumm lines and they are leak free as far as i can tell but will take any info i can get. Thanks

The vacuum pump for the brakes is built into the alternator on that vehicle. I know cause ive got a 80 turbo diesel apart in my garage. Ive read alot about going with the hydro boost set up but havent done it my self..as far as rebuilding the pump or replacing it. I found a place in southern california that sells the alternator/pump. goes for around 800$ used with no warranty..my jaw hit the floor. I just got done replacing all the brake stuff on this truck...booster, master cylinder calipers rotors pads

bluescout
12-02-2010, 03:20 AM
I'd do a little more investigation. While the vacuum for the brakes and the electricity for the wipers and heat both come from the alternator, they are seperate units. With it running you can pull the vacuum line off the brake booster and see if it has good vacuum with a finger over it. The charging system should be checked with a volt meter at both the battery and the lug on the back of the alternator.

kallu55
12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Must be disappointing when things don’t work the way they should! Since the pump doesn’t seem to generate enough vacuum to turn on the heat and brakes, it needs to be thoroughly checked or failing that, replaced. Probably would be difficult to get original parts but reading what it cost to rebuild or replace the pump, or getting an alternator (into which the vacuum pump for the brakes is built for the vehicle mentioned) made my jaw drop too!
direct sat broadband (http://www.directsatbroadband.com/)

Ted_Olmsted
12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Dude,

The vacuum pump doesn't run the wipers or the heater. Vacuum wipers went our in the sixties. check your heater valve and electrical for those issues.

Anyway, you can find a similar vacuum pump on the back of Izuzu diesel truck alternators in the junk yard. The cab over bob tail delivery trucks are what you're looking for. I found one attached to a 90amp Hitachi alternator in an Isuzu NPR. This alternator will fit in your truck but you'll need to make a bracket. Good news is the vacuum pump will bolt right up and it is bigger than the stock unit.

Git 'er done.

P&L Black Smoke Customs
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi, how much do you want for your old vacum pump?

chikadee45
02-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Dude,

Anyway, you can find a similar vacuum pump on the back of Izuzu diesel truck alternators in the junk yard. The cab over bob tail delivery trucks are what you're looking for. I found one attached to a 90amp Hitachi alternator in an Isuzu NPR. This alternator will fit in your truck but you'll need to make a bracket. Good news is the vacuum pump will bolt right up and it is bigger than the stock unit.

Git 'er done.

Great tip!

Ultra Tack Driver
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Great tip!

I need to know how to wire it up . Is there a wiring diagram available? How did you do it? The bracket is not a problem