PDA

View Full Version : How rare are the V392 Engines?

Chung
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I have a 1973 loadstar dumptruck with a v392 engine. I'm just wondering what interest there is for these engines as the dump truck itself isn't worth much.

Allan E.
08-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I bought a loadstar with a 392 in it for 200 bucks just for the engine, then spent a lot more replacing flywheel and clutch. I have bought travelalls and pickups just for the 392, then ended up driving them before using the engine in some other vehicle. I rarely pay more than a few hundred for a runner unless it is in really good shape.

In good running condition, they are worth 200-400 dollars, depending on your location. I just paid 300 for one that had a set of headers and an upgraded distributor, and the headers are normally worth that much.

To answer the "interest" part of the question, a known runner is a good upgrade to some scouts. It swaps in where there was a 304 or 345, and it's excellent on the trail. You can idle over a lot of objects when you're putting out 80 foot lbs of torque at 800 rpm, and 300 foot lbs at 2000 rpm.

The draw back, of course, is that it's a dump truck engine, but so are the others.

Where are you located? There are always folks who want them, and if you let them hear the engine run, they'll even help you pull it. It's what we do for fun, kind of an insanity thing...

Chung
08-20-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm located in Center, North Dakota. Thanks for the information Allan.