PDA

View Full Version : white exhaust smoke when shifting

jeff.hunt
07-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi, a friend driving behind me pointed this out to me, what could be the cause? 1980 diesel scout ii. overall runs ok once you've got a head of steam, but stop and go is pretty bad: clutch pressure plate may be bad and grinds when you shift, I smell exhaust more than I think is normal, and it crawls from as start if theres a hill in front of you. starting with this exhaust issue, and looking for a mechanic to diagnose transmission and or clutch.

Allan E.
07-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi, a friend driving behind me pointed this out to me, what could be the cause? 1980 diesel scout ii. overall runs ok once you've got a head of steam, but stop and go is pretty bad: clutch pressure plate may be bad and grinds when you shift, I smell exhaust more than I think is normal, and it crawls from as start if theres a hill in front of you. starting with this exhaust issue, and looking for a mechanic to diagnose transmission and or clutch.

It is hard to diagnose when there are clutch issues. The clutch should be adjusted so that the throwout bearing is just a hair away from the clutch fingers. Sometimes body mount failure causes the clutch to misalign. The linkage is easily adjusted, and you can figure out how just by looking at it.

The 1980 diesel came with a turbocharger. Hard to diagnose without more information. Diesels of that era tend to smell a bit more than the newer ones, and even with the turbo, these things are not very powerful. They are better than the ones from 76-79, though.

Ted_Olmsted
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
That white smoke sounds scary. Plenty of these SD33-T mills are shot out before they hit 100K miles. Mine was.

I would try to answer the 'is the engine any good' question before I spent the money for a clutch.

Sounds like you're down on power as it is. Keep a close eye on coolant use which could be the white smoke. Grab the fan of the turbo w/ your fingers and see if it will wiggle. If so, you turbo is shot - mine was at 90K miles. Could be bad injectors - have them checked for pattern and pop pressure at your local injector shop. Clean the fuel system. etc...

janajoy
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM

any update jeff?