PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

motocrazy82
05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
I have a 1978 scout 2 with 345 auto trans . i found a good used nissan diesel out of a 80 scout. is it worth changing out will it bolt up to the auto. how much trouble go put in.

lindstromjd
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Not to discourage you at all from doing it, but my rule of thumb with Scouts is that if the engine works, leave it alone. If you're looking for great gas mileage, then I'd say go for it. You'll have to clean out your gas tank and probably run new fuel lines, and some of the wiring will be different, but less inclusive so it won't be a problem.

Also, swapping a diesel in will require you to get a diesel transmission. The bell housings are different on the gas engines, so your automatic won't bolt up to it.

Backcountry
05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I did that swap - it was fairly easy. You'll need to fabricate a new tranny crossmember and you'll need the correct bellhousing, drivelines, engine mounts, engine wiring harness, etc.

You'll also need an engine schematic to do a little rewiring.

With that said, I have developed an unfavorable opinion of the SD33T. It is excessively underpowered. If I were to swap another diesel into a Scout, it would be an engine with enough power to get me down the highway mated to an overdrive tranny.

otiscohillbilly
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Newbie here and have been kicking this idea around for a while. I have recently found a 1971 800A I think it has the 345. Are the motor mounts the same? Will it bolt in with the exception of the tranny cross member and having to use the diesel tranny?

Thanks,
Hillbilly

lindstromjd
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm going to have to admit that I don't know that much about the 80/800 models. I do know that the frame is different, but if you've got a v-8 in there already then you might be able to mount a diesel right up to it. I'd say that the perches coming from the frame are shorter but the same width apart to support the engine without having to have different mounts. And I'm going to say that since some 800's came with inline 6's in them, you shouldn't have a problem with front-to-back spacing.

As it goes with any swap, you'll find yourself investing time and money into parts that need replacing as you go. But personally I don't forsee any problems with the swap; I assume it'll go in an 800a just as easily as it would go into a Scout II because they're already set up for v-8 models.

Allan E.
06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
The SD33 can be sold fairly easily due to the cost of rebuild kits.

I would go with a cummins 4BT and a transmission that was already designed to attach to it, but I'm also not a fan of the SD33. The turbo'd models are okay, but not great. I would never deliberately put one in that was NA, though.

lindstromjd
06-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Yeah, they're not exactly power houses, no matter how you look at them or what you do to them. I suppose you'd get slightly better performance out of them in an 800 though, because they weigh less than a Scout II. If you go with a 4BT with it's mated transmission though, you'll likely end up switching the front axle because the transfer case is a driver's side mount, not passenger's side like the Scout. It's because the exhaust for the 4BT is on the passenger side. I'm sure there's a way to get away with it, but it's the easier way to do it. There's a great write-up on how to do the swap on one of the other sites... don't remember which one it was though.

specialk
07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Find a junked diesel Scout II and do a swap... You'll save money. The 4Bt conversion is $$$.

Kevin
1980 Scout II 4x4 Cummins 6AT3.4 4 Wheel Popup Camper
1972 Scout II 4x4 258 I6 Traveltop

GaibiaHatrono
10-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Does any body know what i need to swap in a engine swap? both cars are 1997 intercooled cars but if i swap engines with injection pumps would i have to swap the ecus and if so what else would need to be swapped? Many thanks to you all.

kallu55
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
You have to consider carefully if youíre planning to do an engine swap on your car. If the change is for a specific purpose then go for it. From the postings some of the changes that may be needed are new fuel lines; a little rewiring and a diesel transmission among other things; not to mention putting in a lot of time and money! And having said that Iím sure the end result should be worth it!

Phoenix73
04-30-2011, 04:13 AM
So if any of these running 345 V8's are in the Portland, Oregon area and are for sale let me know because i'd love to put one in my 800.

Dave Nuenke
05-30-2011, 06:20 PM
The diesel swap is doable, but a complete donor rig is your best bet. I've actually done the swap both ways, so I'll share a few tips. Tranny wise the 4 speed is the same, but you need the diesel belhousing and need to move one of the tranny cross member brackets. Driveshafts are different lengths, and the tranny tunnel coverplate is different, the shifter on the tranny is also different (they work, just a bit awkward to drive). There are of course electrical diffrences, on one truck I adapted a diesel harness to work with a gas motor, on the other truck I was able to just plug in a diesel engine harness and that worked better. The diesel will need a return line that the gas truck didn't come with, exhaust will be different as well. In short it's not a project to embark upon if you don't have the facilities and mechanical know how. Done right it can make a lot of sense, done wrong, and all you have is a mess.

Dave