PDA

View Full Version : scout is slow and low power

jeff.hunt
02-22-2010, 03:22 AM
I have an 80 diesel scout, it runs pretty good, but from a standstill or especially going uphill it's really slow. I understand that these engines are pretty much built low power, good milage, durable, and have low geared transmissions for 4x4 and towing (I'm not very mechanical as you can tell, this is just what i've learned from this forum and other places online)

My question is, since I really like the car but want to make it more practical to drive, what are my options? Can I tune up the engine some way to improve it? Does it need to be modified? Or will I never get anything from this engine more than what was designed for so shouldn't bother?

Of course I know with enough money you could probably accomplish anything, but I am wondering if there's any relatively easy stuff I could pay a mechanic to help me with.

One other factor is the clutch. It's apparently bad (the pressure plate?) and could do that have anything to do with slow pick up and speed? The transmission also seems to rattler sometimes, so is a different transmission (not so low geared) or a different engine or engine modifications the direction to look?

Thanks for any input!

lindstromjd
02-22-2010, 05:41 AM
I've never had mine try and refuse to get going when I wanted it to; granted it doesn't like hills, but I can get up them no problem with the pedal to the floor and a little patience because it slows down a little on bigger ones.

The clutch would be part of the equation; you can't expect your Scout to go anywhere if all the parts aren't in good working order. Fix the clutch and drain the fluid in the transmission and replace it with conventional 50wt oil and see if it helps.

For the easy stuff, take it to a mechanic and have them check out compression and the injectors.