PDA

View Full Version : Moderators on Scout sites.

Green-80
02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Are there moderators watching the various Scout sites? There seem to be a lot of junk posts. I visit some other sites that do not seem to have this problem. Why Scouts?

baldscout
02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
I think that after the previous BB was switched over to BP and the current owner took over this forum; a lot of information was lost in terms of spam control. The software that they are utilizing takes a lot of tweaking to get correct and the current owner probably doesn't have the time or manpower to perform these tasks.

Several of the other forums get one or two a week slip through, instead of 20+ a day. Then again, they have more moderators and admins to keep things under control.

All we can do is report the spam posts as they arrive (and wait 60 seconds between reports) and wait for them to disappear.

Green-80
02-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks. I know keeping up with a site is a lot of work. It just seemed that these sites were being targeted for some reason.

Allan E.
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
When one post is reported, and the moderators show up to disapprove it, the other unwanted posts also show up. There is no need to report them all. An e-mail goes to the moderators and admins with a link to the post. Since they get disapproved one at a time, and the main screen comes up afterward, the other errant posts show up at that time. One report a day is typically all that is needed. It then becomes a question of who gets there first. Some sections are only moderated by the admins.

They are running between 12 and 20 spam posts for every legitimate one.

admin
02-24-2010, 06:55 AM
We added a few more filters for non western characters and other common spam words to keep the spam off the page. I may be able to figure out how to allow all of the spam to be deleted by the users if it is flagged twice. I will look into the vbulletin forum and post if I can find anything.

Thanks!

CJB3884
01-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Hey moderators how about approving my post elgibility so I can start a thread.