PDA

View Full Version : New Starter for 1980 diesel

countryboy
02-03-2010, 06:57 AM
I was wondering where I could get a new starter for my scout? I was also wondering if I could get one that spins it over faster. The one I have works but the solenoid is going bad. So I was thinking of using it for a spare and seeing about getting a new one. Any help will be appreciated.
P.S. Also I need a new through out bearing sometime in the future and was wondering where to get a greaseable one. Thanks.

baldscout
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
If you want a faster turning starter, try out mean green starters. They are expensive for a reason, but are heavier duty than what you are running now. The stock starter is more than sufficient to rebuild with a local electrical shop (if you have a good one) to a stronger unit for less than a new one.

As for the greasable throwout bearing, that should be available from any of your local part houses, any of the site sponsors, or even Ft. Wayne Clutch. I've dealt with Ft. Wayne and the crew there are very knowledgeable.

HTH

Bill

countryboy
02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the help. I was pretty sure I could get the bearing at O'reillys but I thought I'd ask about it just for the heck of it. Thanks Again and I'll check out mean green starters.